- Our space is really, really intimate. It holds maybe 40 seats. So this isn’t the best choice for an event that you want hundreds of people to come to. Also, the stage is pretty small. We have fit a few five piece bands on our stage, but it’s cozy.
- We are an anarchist, anti-authoritarian space and want to host events that are not in conflict with those ideologies. If you directly share those ideas, we will probably be really excited to work with you. We will not host events that we think seem racist, sexist, homophobic, disrespectful to the earth and to living creatures, pro-capitalist or upholding hierarchy or the “power over” mentality that dominates our society.
- If you are a band from out of town, we would really appreciate it if you contact local bands to try to put together your own line up. We can give you some leads but we don’t really want to put together a whole show. A good place to start if you don’t have your own contacts is S.C.U.M.–Santa Cruz Underground Music.
- You are responsible for bringing whatever equipment you need to make your event successful. We do not have a PA system. If you want to do a film screening, our friends at Guerrilla Drive-In might be able to help you out with equipment, but please check in with them.
- As far as music goes, we mostly do acoustic shows. Amplified shows will be considered, but they must be over by 10pm. Again, our space is cozy, so the sound doesn’t really need to be turned up super high.
- You are responsible for having your own door person, merchandise person, and fliers. However, we can help you with these things, just be in contact with us and have good communication. We will try to always promote the event on our website, facebook and email. Let us know well ahead of time if you do not want us to do that.
- For most events, we take a 20% cut of the door. This money enables us to stay open and have more events. We do not take money from benefits and we are open to negotiation if there isn’t very much money to split.
- Please plan your event ahead of time. If you email us a week before the event, it is unlikely we will be able to accommodate you. Give us enough time to plan and publicize and the event will be more successful. Also, on the day of your event, please arrive early to help set up and to communicate with the event bottomliner.
- If you made it through this whole list and still want to book an event, email us at email@example.com. We probably will be excited to hear from you!
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
We love hosting special events like music and speakers, but not every event is going to work in our space or with our goals. So here are some of our expectations and things you should know about our space: